Director of Membership & Programming - 1871
The story of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: A remarkable moment when the most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. What started 140 years ago continues to this day.
Chicago’s brightest digital designers, engineers and entrepreneurs are shaping new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, make mistakes, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, join us.
- 1871 is seeking a Director of Membership and Programming to lead the overall day-to-day operations of 1871’s robust Membership and Programming departments. At 1871, we not only support our 1300+ members by providing access to our community and membership, but through a variety of educational and business opportunities, such as: office hours with experts; speeches and presentations from industry experts and academics; demonstration days; international events and press conferences; connections to corporations; and workshops on topics that identify and share critical skills for building a business. We are looking for a passionate and eager individual looking to expand their career by immersing themselves in the #1 ranked incubator in the United States. The position reports directly to the COO and will work closely with all other members of the 1871 Team.
- Overseeing the Membership and Programming departments and overall management of the departments.
- Getting to know 1871 member companies and working to make sure they have successful experiences at 1871. Finding ways to make meaningful connections to other member companies, mentors, and corporations.
- Continually striving to improve the inclusiveness and diversity of the membership and mentors.
- Creating and implementing new ideas to augment the membership and programming functions at 1871.
- Thriving in a fast-paced, creative, and iterative environment. We look to our team to come up with creative, well-thought-out ideas that we can implement quickly.
- Having a “do what it takes” mentality when it comes to the job. We’re a small, lean team that operates the largest incubator in the world. We all do our part, and then some, for the sake of our member and partner experiences.
- Having a passion for the technology and startup space. You’ll have the opportunity to interface directly with our startup companies, sponsors, educational partners, accelerator programs, and more! We want our team to be motivated by the people and environment that surrounds them.
The ideal candidate will have:
- BA/BS degree strongly preferred
- Team leadership experience required. Must have a passion for mentorship and leading teams.
- Background in educational programming strongly preferred
- Experience working in a startup environment preferred
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Team player with strong ability to identify mutually beneficial member connections and work with colleagues
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact without conflict to colleagues, leadership, members, and guests
- Excellent customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Microsoft Office, Google Calendar, and related software applications experience required
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.