Engineering Team Lead - WatchTower
There’s an undeniable shift happening in the insurance industry. Incumbents are waking up to the advantages that technology provides, and are increasingly open to new ways of adopting it. WatchTower was founded to transform the B2B side of the employee benefits insurance industry from a disparate set of closed systems to a more open and integrated environment. We imagine a future where the industry is connected and facilitated by software instead of bottlenecked by manual processes.
Our founding team has 35+ years of industry experience. We have spent the last two years building the foundation of this business. We’ve been testing assumptions, developing product, and earning (paying) customers. We recently raised capital to expand our team beyond the founding members. There’s much work to do, and you’ll be joining at an exciting time with substantial momentum.
We’re hiring a Engineering Team Lead because we’ve reached an inflection point. Customer demand has surpassed the functionality, and scalability, of the initial proof-of-concept product. We have a capable and seasoned CTO, but adding a Senior Engineer with a desire to lead has become vital.
As a Team Lead we’ll be asking you to be a “player-coach”. You’ll contribute to the codebase while guiding and mentoring others. You’ll participate in architectural, process, and build versus buy discussions to help us make the best decisions possible.
As one of the first full time Engineers your contributions will have a ripple effect. Your development choices will inherently set the precedent for others that follow, and your attitude will help shape the culture.
This will be a role where you should expect to grow in your career. If you’re someone who gets excited about the opportunity to speak at a MeetUp, then you might be a great fit.
- Middleware: Ruby (with Rails)
- Relational Database: ANSI SQL, Postgres
- Supporting tools: Python, Django
- AWS platform
The Senior Engineer/Team Lead will be responsible for understanding, helping to manage and improve upon this infrastructure.
What You'll Do
- Development Strategy - You'll work alongside our CTO to understand the objectives that drive the business forward, and develop a technical strategy to accomplish them. We'll look to you to evaluate the effort, risk, and return on investment associated with technical projects, as well as contribute to the selection of tools and technologies used by the development team. And of course, you'll spearhead the exploration of opportunities to improve the quality and effectiveness of the WatchTower technology platform.
- Development Execution - We're an early-stage company, which means all of us need to act high and act low. While you will be responsible for leading code reviews on Pull Requests, distributing tasks to the development team, mentoring the development team on best practices, and maintaining standards for consistency, style, and stability for the codebase, you'll also be elbow deep in the development and shipping of quality code.
- Delivery & Testing - We believe in Test Driven Development practices and solid documentation. You'll be writing, testing, documenting, and supporting efficient re-usable code. You will coordinate with the QA and UX testing processes, as well as develop software in adherence to the team's code style guidelines.
- R&D - WatchTower’s software platform includes distinct applications for various internal and external stakeholders including managing internal operations, portal tools for our customers, automating document processing, enable reporting and analytics for customers. We value and seek out opportunities to improve our capabilities across these areas. A percentage of your time will be spent exploring tools and technologies in the following:
- Machine learning
- Information retrieval
- Enterprise application development and delivery
- Mobile development
- 5+ total development experience
- Proficient in the community standards for Ruby, Rails, and ES6 environments
- Demonstrate good discipline in producing tested, clear, and efficient software
- Has previously led, or has demonstrated the capability to lead projects and team members
- Comfortable working with remote team members
- Prioritize the customer above all else
- Nice-to-have skills:
- Enterprise application development, particularly data-intensive interfaces
- API development (in addition to integration)
- Text extraction techniques such as Regular Expressions and natural Language Processing
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Health insurance stipend
- Flexible vacation policy
Where you’ll work
- Our team works in one of the world’s top-ranked incubators, 1871.
- Enjoy unlimited access to 1,000+ learning and development opportunities per year (events, workshops, mentoring sessions).
- Located in downtown Chicago our office is in the historic Merchandise Mart building.
- Accessible from the brown/purple line ‘El’ stop, and a short walk from Metra train stations.
- While in-person team meetings will be common, you can expect a work-from-home friendly schedule.
WatchTower is a values-based organization. Our Team Values are the beliefs that we hold so deeply that they guide our behavior. This isn’t just rhetoric. You can see our Team Values in how we how conduct ourselves, how we treat and communicate with others, and how we make decisions - big or small.
We believe that if our team operates around a shared set of values, then we’ll collectively grow and be more successful for it. For that reason we’re seeking like-motivated candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Growth mindset - You fundamentally believe that you can improve.
- Follow through - When you commit to something you feel a personal obligation to deliver on it.
- Respect for the individual - You show respect for others through your action and communication with them.
- Passion for the team - Individual talents combine to an exponentially powerful team.
- Optimism - You know that the future will be better if we work hard. You realize that a lot can be accomplished over the long term.
WatchTower is committed to building an inclusive working environment regardless of gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics. We believe that people do their best work when they can be themselves, and we want to create an environment to enable them to do just that.