Android Developer - GrowIt!
Mobile App Developer
What we do:
GrowIt! is a mobile app community for gardening socially. We connect a younger consumer to
gardening. The company mission is to 1) make consumer purchasing decisions easier 2) provide tools that enable retailers to sell more plants, and 3) to revolutionize consumer data gathering in the horticultural industry.
- Here’s where we’re at - we partnered with an agency to build a mobile app, but recently moved development in-house. We’ve gained 400,000+ users, hit top 10 Lifestyle app in Play Store and App Store, #1 gardening app, listed in Better Homes & Gardens best gardening app, built two B2B SaaS products, and are collecting A LOT of data.
- Here’s what we need - we need a mobile app developer to own the mobile development. You’ll develop new B2B products for mobile and build new features for the mobile community platform. You’ll also spend time swatting bugs and improving current functions.
- Here’s what we’ll accomplish -- scale! We’re building a robust mobile community and rich B2B products. Your work will be essential to our success.
As a Mobile App Developer, you are responsible for:
Development - Developing our mobile application project. Produce high quality code that satisfies both the business functional requirements as well as the non-functional requirements. Create / test prototypes and keep up with new technology in the industry that brings innovation to solve business problems. Work in an agile, BDD environment.
Establishing and driving standards - Driving standards and tools for development initiatives that establish best practices and code guidelines. Participate and contribute to all phases in building new digital products, including programming, defect correction, unit testing, code review, and deployment planning. Test automation is part of your philosophy
Design - Designing solutions taking into account scalability, availability, reliability, stability, security and performance.
Communication – Day-to-day, you’ll be working with the head of product, other developers, and business stakeholders. You are an effective communicator so even non-tech folks can understand what they’re up to and how we can all plan accordingly for seamless development, testing, deployment, and implementation.
DevOps - Monitor and support as needed. You’ll participate in an off hours support on-call rotation and train teammates on first-response triage related to your discipline for weekend/night outages.
Must have skills: Java, Android Studio, Android SDK; nice to have Ruby or other backend languages
Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts
3rd party tool integration (Localytics, Adjust, Mandrill) experience
Experience with consumer facing apps
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering or related fields is required
- Working knowledge of agile, test-driven development or behavior-driven development
- Passionate about staying current on trends and best practices in mobile app development
- You are a patient, personable, and open-minded individual
- Start-up culture; corporate benefits package
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with 2% match, and benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance and paid time off). We also offer access to supplemented spouse, domestic partner, and dependent medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 1871 workshop and mentors for career development.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here. We’re implementing Agile development so the first 6-months will be rigid as we get up and running, but once we’re a well-oiled machine, we’re flexible with schedule.
- Creative work environment. We are building a new product and your expertise and creativity are high in-demand.