Membership Associate - 1871
The story of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: A remarkable moment when the most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. What started 140 years ago continues to this day.
Chicago’s brightest digital designers, engineers and entrepreneurs are shaping new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, make mistakes, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, join us.
- 1871 is seeking a Membership Associate to help with the overall day-to-day operations of 1871’s robust Membership department. At 1871, we not only support our 1300+ members by providing access to our community and membership, but through a variety of educational and business opportunities, such as: office hours with experts; speeches and presentations from industry experts and academics; demonstration days; international events and press conferences; connections to corporations; and workshops on topics that identify and share critical skills for building a business. We are looking for a passionate and eager individual looking to expand their career by immersing themselves in the #1 ranked incubator in the United States. The position reports directly to the Manager of Membership.
- Helping the rest of the Membership department in the overall management of the department.
- Day to day tasks and responsibilities in service of 1871’s membership include: answering member inquiries, responding to prospective applicant questions, setting up orientation, providing tours, helping with membership sales, billing, fulfilling member requests, tracking and responding to membership leads and setting up orientation.
- Getting to know 1871 member companies and working to make sure they have successful experiences at 1871.
- Using our CRM system to manage and update memberships, pull data, create reservations, etc.
- Tracking the growth of members and logging any changes.
- Helping implement new ideas to augment the membership functions at 1871.
- Thriving in a fast-paced, creative, and iterative environment. We look to our team to come up with creative, well-thought-out ideas that we can implement quickly.
- Having a “do what it takes” mentality when it comes to the job. We’re a small, lean team that operates the largest incubator in the world. We all do our part, and then some, for the sake of our member and partner experiences.
- Having a passion for the technology and startup space. You’ll have the opportunity to interface directly with our startup companies, sponsors, educational partners, accelerator programs, and more! We want our team to be motivated by the people and environment that surrounds them.
The ideal candidate will have:
- BA/BS degree strongly preferred
- Background in educational programming preferred
- Experience working in a startup environment preferred
- Ability to develop and enforce policies while being personable and approachable
- Experience working with Microsoft Suite (especially Excel) and G Suite
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- CRM experience is preferred
- Team player with strong ability to identify mutually beneficial member connections and work with colleagues
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact without conflict to colleagues, leadership, members, and guests
- Excellent customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.