Director of Science & Research - Realize Therapeutics
About Realize Therapeutics:
Realize Therapeutics is a medical cannabis and device firm focused on research, development and commercialization of targeted therapies. As a biotech company operating in the legal cannabis markets, we harness the power of big data to develop cannabis medicines with optimized effects and minimized side effects (i.e., cannabis-based medicines without the psychoactive “high” and undesirable effects). We seek to discover, develop and patent data-validated formulations for high-need conditions including pain management. Our branded Script™ product lines will generate sustainable revenue streams, providing a significant ROI for investors and incentivized team members. Realize is dedicated to improving the efficacy and legitimacy of cannabis as a medicine to ensure public access to the best and safest treatment options. We believe that prescription and over-the- counter pharmaceuticals designed to treat pain, for example, have significant harm and side effect profiles that do not best serve the consumer.
We are seeking an accomplished and passionate individual as Director of Scientific Affairs. Be part of the founding team and be involved with developing the strategy, programs and execution of our research and development. This is an exceptional opportunity for a motivated self-starter to work closely with a proven serial entrepreneur with a bold vision. Interact and network with the current and future leaders of the cannabis research, regulatory and business community, the fastest growing industry in America. Be involved with the state-specific legal cannabis environment, where your work will have a noticeable impact. You’ll be part of revolution in American business, culture and healthcare.
Requires an obsessive start-up mentality and work ethic, with the internal drive to achieve breakthrough results. A personal interest and familiarity with cannabis is essential. In this role the candidate will lead our research program, including formulation development and iteration, market efficacy studies and data analysis in coordination with hardware and analytics personnel. The Director of Scientific Affairs serves a critical role as part of the management team, reporting to the CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical Trials and Market Research
- Develop, oversee and execute clinical and market research programs
- Actively manage studies, recruit subjects, collect data and apply insights
- Responsible for continuous product formulation development and iteration
- Build and refine a pipeline of product candidates for high need conditions
- Discover, validate and patent novel compositions and uses for targeted solutions
- Coordinate with Technology team to optimize captured data from consumers
- Coordinate with Commercial team to ensure education program and products meet the needs of the market
Legal and Regulatory
- Manage our patent program and interact with patent counsel
- Apply for and seek grants and funding from SBIR, NIH and other sources
- Network and collaborate with scientific community and independent investigators
- Act as a thought leader within the cannabis industry
- Study, understand and stay current on published cannabis scientific research
- Develop data and create education materials for healthcare professionals
Participate in ad hoc projects and tasks as needed
- Extensive involvement in clinical research design through execution and recruitment
- Expert in statistics, data analysis, systems and best practices in data gathering and utilization
- A thorough understanding of pharmacokinetics, drug development, clinical trials, medicinal chemistry, formulation development, statistical analysis, and clinical data validation.
- Product development experience in pharma or related field
- Proven experience in product formulation and refinement
- Ability to translate product specifications to manufacturing partners
- Proven analytical skills with data and metrics
- Familiarity with business and product marketing and direct interfacing with sales teams
- Personality and leadership style fitting an early stage, dynamic biotechnology company
- Minimum 10 years business experience
- Strong organizational and project management skills
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Experience working at a CRO
- An understanding of cannabinoid / terpene science and the endocannabinoid system
- Regulatory: Familiarity with FDA and FTC regulations for supplements, OTCs and pharmaceuticals. Cannabis regulation familiarity very helpful.
- Manufacturing: API’s, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, devices, supplements, chemicals
- QC / QMS: Quality Management Systems and QC systems and inventory tracking programs ideally related to cannabis MIPs products (Colorado and other states)
- Industry exposure: such as dietary supplements, natural products and regulated products pharmaceutical, OTC medications, Health IT, devices, etc.
- Hands-on laboratory experience
- Commercial support: interact with sales and marketing in the communication of science and research
Essential Core Competencies:
- Driven, determined and never give up attitude
- Professional, proactive demeanor, strive for excellence
- Works independently with little need for direction. Thinks pro-actively.
- Proficient in MS Office, database management, etc.
- Ability and availability for frequent travel
- Confidential and discreet
- Ph.D. in Science field
- Clinical research background
- Ability to bridge between industry and academia
- Familiarity with IoT and data analytics
- During the current pre-funding stage, modest compensation will be provided, and will increase up to $100K + incentive upon funding (expected soon)
- Health insurance and 401k (post funding)
To be considered, please include a resume and cover letter describing ways in which you are suited for this position in your application.