Finance Associate - 1871
1871 - http://www.1871.com/
222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 1212, Chicago, IL
The story of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: A remarkable moment when the most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. What started 140 years ago continues to this day.
1871 exists to inspire, equip, and support founders in building great businesses. We deliver unfair advantages at scale to our founders. The team supports ~500 young companies made up of Chicago’s brightest digital designers, engineers and entrepreneurs shaping new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, make mistakes, partner with others, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, join us.
1871 is seeking a Finance Associate who will have two primary responsibilities -- managing and overseeing the day-to-day finances of the organization and working with the 1871 leadership to craft and implement long-term financial strategies. This position will interact and maintain relationships with all levels and groups within 1871.
- Financial management of accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger in the accrual accounting system for the entire organization
- Management of ongoing banking and financial transactions using various tools
- Oversight of the financial operations of 1871, including monthly close, reporting and variance analysis
- Long term financial planning including annual budgeting process, assistance with the annual financial audit, long-term financial planning and execution in accordance with the organization’s strategic goals, and the monthly financial reporting process with the Board of Directors
- Respond promptly and maintain positive relationships with customers and the 1871 team
- Maintains customer billing and membership changes.
- Finds ways to streamline processes and make them more efficient
- Involved in payable processing by staying organized and entering bills into the correct account
- A BA/BS degree in Business-Related field is preferred but not required;1-5 years of relevant experience in finance is more important
- A great enthusiasm to learn and improve existing systems and policies, work and build relationships with an entire organization, and help company founders reach their goals
- An appreciation for working in a team environment and has work experience building cross-functional relationships.
- Experience with planning, developing, and managing organizational budgets
- Demonstrated financial analysis/reporting skills, and shown professional growth within an organization through dedication, hard work, and problem-solving
- Paid excellent attention to detail, the ability to learn procedures quickly, and intellectual curiosity regarding process improvement
- Communicated clearly, effectively and positively with leadership (C-level), the 1871 team, customers, and Board of Directors
- Strong computer skills, including specific knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Suite and understanding financial systems such as Bill.com and Quickbooks
- Worked for a non-profit or startup (helpful, but not a necessity)
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.