Director of Marketing - 1871
The story of the Great Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: a remarkable moment when Chicago’s most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. Today, Chicago’s brightest founders, entrepreneurs, digital designers, and engineers are developing new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Our team of dedicated professionals inspire, equip, and support founders to build extraordinary businesses. To make it happen, we need a stellar Director of Marketing.
- Do people gather ‘round to hear your stories?
- Are you the strongest of strong people leaders?
- Can you create a content strategy in your sleep?
- Do you breathe in social content and exhale OKRs and KPIs?
- Have you ever woken up in a cold sweat just to add a missed comma to a press release?
Well, you may have just found your dream job.
1871 is looking for a passionate Director of Marketing to join our team at one of the world’s leading digital technology hubs. You will advance 1871’s visibility, reputation, and relevance within our Founder community, potential members, partners, the media, and the general public.
This position has three main drivers: leading people, rocking content marketing strategy, and solid communications.
You will head up a team of talented creatives to develop content that creates an impact, cultivates leads, and generates conversions. You’re coming in with connections to Chicago media and a hefty knowledge of our town’s tech scene. This role will be heavily concentrated on digital content marketing, but just the same, you’ll have to feel as comfortable designing old school print-and-starch posters.
Paramount to success? Be versatile and comfortable with change and the unknown.
- Leading People – We’re looking to turn our marketing organization into a well-oiled content marketing machine!
- Align the team on strategic goals for the organization
- Create a strategy utilizing the creative talents of the team
- Develop the team’s individuals’ capabilities within their roles and set them up for success within the organization and their future careers
- Collaborate directly with our vendor organizations to deliver content
- Content Strategy – The be all, end all mission of this position: create, execute and manage a content strategy across all our mediums from digital to social to events and IRL shindigs. Your goal is to wow our audience, empathize with them, and create long term, impactful relationships
- Develop and own the 1871 content strategy that (re)utilizes all available collateral and assets to create the engaging and impactful content across all mediums, digital and IRL
- Understand and add value to Customer Personas and their various (i.e. B2B, B2C, nonprofit) journeys, aligning content strategy to the motivations and goals of the personas
- In coordination with our design agency, create content utilizing customer personas, including:
- Thought leadership pieces
- Definitive Guides
- Checklists/Tip sheets
- Create and own the marketing and communications content calendars
- Develop and execute Marketing Automation campaigns for the 1871 lead generation and manage 1871’s paid media advertising activities
- Marketing analytics and metrics – own and define the KPIs and OKRs
- Promote the member companies of 1871 and work to advise and train them on media relations and communications
- Communications and PR - Develop and execute communications strategy including all digital communications and PR
- Lead strategy and execute for all earned media, including press releases, media advisories, letters-to-the-editor, and opinion editorials
- Create and maintain relationships with Chicago Business/Tech media reporters and publications
- Advise and train members and 1871 Leadership on media relations and communications, and to act as spokespeople
- Oversee our expansive social media presence of nearly 100,000 followers across all networks
- Write and/or approve all copywriting and editing for internal/external communications
- All applicants must submit a digital portfolio to be considered
- Bachelor’s degree in a creative field or equivalent required
- Expert proficiency in:
- Adobe CC
- CRM experience (e.g. HubSpot, Salesforce)
- Marketing Automation (e.g. HubSpot, Marketo, Pardot)
- Social Media Automation (e.g. Hootsuite, Sprout Social)
- Google Analytics and SEO/SEM
- Some HTML/CSS preferred
- Previous management experience required
- Past experience in writing press releases and contacts in Chicago tech/business media is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be organized and detail oriented with an ability to prioritize tasks; things change on a dime and we have to roll and adapt.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends.
- You value working as part of a team and are a phenomenal people leader.
- You are both highly creative and organized with a strong ability to execute.
- You are tactical; you deliver on day-to-day tasks.
- You understand the role of video and other storytelling techniques in achieving successful marketing outcomes.
- You have a “strong visual eye.”
- You are a strong writer and editor with excellent attention to detail.
- You have a passion for technology and entrepreneurship.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, agile startup environment.
- You are adaptable and an out-of-the-box problem solver.
- You don’t do trends, you build relationships to create impact
- You are effective in working under tight deadlines, prioritizing issues and managing concurrent assignments
- You’re in the know for cutting edge communication techniques, tools, and digital resources
1871 offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, 401k, PTO, opportunities to participate in workshops and events and more!
THE WORK PERKS:
- Convenient downtown location with coffee shops, restaurants, and bars nearby.
- Access to workshops and programs put on by industry experts
- An energetic and inspiring atmosphere of founders, startups, community members, universities, and corporations
- Wear jeans and casual wear. (We’re tech, so #HOODIES and #PATAGONIAVESTS are SO IN RN!)
- Participate in activities led by 1871’s Employee Resource Group (ERG): The 187Fun Committee.
- Work as a part of a diverse team.
- Access to a Chicago Tech Perks package as part of Chicago’s leading digital tech hub.
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.