Event Coordinator - 1871
The story of the Great Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: a remarkable moment when Chicago’s most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. Today, Chicago’s brightest founders, entrepreneurs, digital designers, and engineers are developing new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, make mistakes, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, join us.
Do you love events? Do you love organization? Are you always creating checklists and budgets? Does a dynamic environment that constantly changes excite you? Then read on - we may have the perfect role for you!
1871 is looking for a highly detailed, outgoing Events Coordinator to join our team and hit the ground running as they immerse themselves in our exciting, fast-paced environment.
Reporting to the Director of Events, the Events Coordinator will be responsible for many critical responsibilities of the 1817 Events Team, including management of all incoming event inquiries
Inquiry Distribution & Management - Act as customer service liaison for all incoming event inquiries, including those received via email, website, returning clients and internal requests/inquiries, from initial client communication through contract execution
Event Planning & Execution - Manage all 1871 member events as well as other small events as assigned from contract execution through day-of execution (including all client communication and event logistics) and act as Events Team lead on 1871’s Community Holiday Party and 1871’s Birthday Party
Calendar Management - Management of Events calendar, including proactive use of space, placing holds and securing details for confirmed events and ensuring the correct parties are kept informed
Contract Generation - Generate contracts for all confirmed events to be distributed by Director of Events
Event Marketing - Implement all website updates as well as weekly Events newsletter
Partner Relationships - Serve as liaison to the Merchandise Mart and other partners including members, tenants, accelerators and universities
Contractor Management - Oversee scheduling for contracted evening events and facilities staff
- Research and recommend event management software to be adopted by 1871
- Manage catering requests and budgets when required
- Create and distribute VIP guest report to senior leadership
- 1+ years experience in events, marketing, project management or similar role.
- You’ll be interacting with a diverse client base on a daily basis, so you have to be customer-service oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be extremely organized and detail oriented with an ability to prioritize tasks; things change on a dime and we have to roll and adapt to the needs of the event.
- We use a lot of tech here... like a lot! So, experience and a high comfort level with software like Gmail, Google Calendar, HubSpot, Peoplevine, MailChimp and #slack is required.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends possibly required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- You are a team player and a hands-on, motivated self-starter who is capable of multi-tasking in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- You are highly organized with a strong ability to execute.
- You are both strategic and tactical; you think big picture but can also deliver on day-to-day.
- You have a passion for technology and entrepreneurship.
- You are adaptable and an out-of-the-box problem solver.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing, lean startup environment.
1871 offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, 401k, PTO, opportunities to participate in workshops and events and more!
- Convenient downtown location with coffee shops, restaurants, and bars nearby.
- Wear jeans and casual wear. (We’re tech, so #HOODIES AND #PATAGONIAVESTS are SO IN RN!)
- Participate in activities led by 1871’s Employee Resource Group (ERG): The 187Fun Committee.
- Work as a part of a diverse team.
- Access to a Chicago Tech Perks package as part of Chicago’s leading digital tech hub.
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.