Mobile UI/UX Designer - Trala
Trala is building a violin learning app that teaches anyone how to play the violin. We have violin lessons powered by signal processing that listens to users play their real violins and gives instant feedback on every single mistake.
This is a crazy-hard problem, and we are solving new problems in signal processing, app design, user psychology, and education.
Our users are ages 7 to 70 and live in rural Montana, Syria, tiny Pacific islands, Hong Kong, and of course, Chicago. Yes, you can learn the world’s most difficult instrument via an app. Yes, we will teach you.
What you’ll do:
- Own the entire look and feel of the app.
- Work with professional violinists to design new app features.
- Create the UI for new features.
- User-test these features with real people every day.
Here’s what we love:
- Making fun things for fun people.
- Learning and sharing that learning.
- Being experts in something important.
We believe that we are not vessels for the company’s growth, but the company is a vessel for our growth. We believe that teaching the world to play music is incredibly important. If you’re nodding in agreement, read on, because we might become friends.
Trala is a rare startup:
- Our users are people, not businesses or the government.
- We are generating revenue and funded.
- Our investors include the CEO of Linkedin and the CEO of Duolingo.
- We’re part of Techstars Chicago: https://www.techstars.com/programs/chicago-program/.
We are looking for a rare person who is:
- Passionate about building beautiful things
- Used to gray areas/ambiguity/hot messes
- Delighted to talk to users
You need to have some skills:
- 3+ years of app design
- Digital illustration
- (Not optional) An aptitude for learning quickly
- Sam: Violinist and engineer. Mastermind behind Trala’s musical pedagogy. Uses words like ‘pedagogy’.
- Vish: Can code anything. Winner of 4 national hackathons. Has eaten a Death Sandwich and survived. The next Adam Smith.
- Lauren: Professional artist - not starving. Like Ram Dass and Frank Gehry combined. Has been compared to a ball of floating light.
- Harvey: Marketer. Wrote an award-winning brownie cookbook. May bring in brownies if asked politely.
- Joel: Attempting to unseat Vish. Hasn’t eaten a Death Sandwich yet, though. The Muhammad Ali of Connect 4.
- You: Shrouded in mystery (for now).
- Good salary.
- You’ll be part of Techstars, the world’s most powerful entrepreneurial network. Use it how you may.
- Never eat lunch alone: Trala is a family. If the mob comes looking for you we will hide you in the ceiling.
- Work in downtown Chicago. Great working space, free coffee, etc., we’re a startup.
- Mandatory vacation days. Get your ass outside.
- Our mentors are leaders in app design, UI/UX, user psychology, and pedagogy. They will be your mentors, too.
You can find an easier job at a big company like Allstate or SpotHero. To them, you are literally just flesh. To you, they are a paycheck and an occasional awkward holiday party and a whole lot of office politics.
Come make something real for real people!