After School Cooking Instructor - iCook After School
iCook After School is an innovative educational company that provides a really fun, hands-on after-school cooking and nutrition education program for children age K-4. The focus of the program is to enrich the lives of children by teaching them to love everything about food – cooking, eating delicious and healthful dishes, and learning about different cultures and stories behind the food.
We are looking for people who will share our passion for education, food, and, most importantly, making a difference in lives of our little chefs. This is an amazing opportunity to have a job that makes an impact on children’s lives while keeping a FLEXIBLE schedule and working on days and in locations that work for you. Our educators come from different backgrounds: nutritionist, educators, stay at home parents looking for extra income, students, chefs and many more.
What you will be doing:
- Lead after school cooking classes for elementary students (K-4) while getting them excited about trying fun and creative recipes, new foods and encouraging them to learn about new cuisines and cultures
- Teach provided lesson plans related to basics of nutrition and healthy eating to kids in a fun and engaging way and making sure kids are learning while having fun
- Introduce kids to basic cutting and measuring techniques, food safety, table manners and other concepts provided in the curriculum
- Interact with parents and school staff
- Communicate feedback from parents and students as well as any concerns to the main office
- Experience working with large group of kids is required (can be in school setting, summer camp etc.)
- Enthusiastic about teaching, cooking and nutrition
- Effective classroom management skills
- Energetic personality and ability to engage children in the lesson plan and keep them engaged during the lesson
- Punctuality and reliability, with access to a reliable form of transportation
What your schedule will look like:
- All our classes run in the afternoon, starting between 2.30pm and 3.30pm, depending on the school and run for one hour or one hour and 15 minutes, depending on the school.
- We have a number of schools we work with in Alexandria, Arlington and Fairfax County. We will pair you to teach classes at the schools located conveniently for you on the days of the week that work best for you.
- You can teach a maximum of 5 classes per week, or one class per day, based on your availability.
We pay $40-50 per class based on experience