Data/Analytics Analyst Intern - Civicly Envolved
Democracy is work, let us make it easy. Our vision is for all citizens to have the information they need to be the driving force of democracy.
Civicly Envolved is a digital platform that helps citizens get more involved in their government, and provides officials, advocacy groups and even candidates critical insights into how their citizens feel.
Our goal is to build a simple, personalized interface that aggregates the data that you need to get involved. We are an early-stage start-up looking for passionate, creative, self-starters who want to 1) learn about this complex environment, and 2) help make a real difference in the world.
The Data/Analytics Analyst will be working directly with Co-Founders and others on the product team to learn more about analyzing critical public data and shaping it for the back-end and UI/UX developers. The analyst will leverage scripts and machine learning tools to collect, tag, sort and categorize critical citizen data. The analyst will work with the UI/UX team to ensure the data categorization flows well into the downstream UI/UX features. Likewise, the analyst will work with the back-end developers to ensure the downstream applications meet customer needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Familiar with R and/or Python and basics of scripting
- Comfortable conducting analysis using pre-written scripts
- Excited about interpreting implications for downstream data consumers
- Interest in public policy, legislative processes, and civic data
- Comfort with machine learning concepts
- Interest in learning more about applied machine learning
- Desire to apply cutting edge unsupervised machine learning methods to achieve desired outcomes
- Focuses in analytical, mathematical or data oriented fields
- Familiar with advanced analytics methods (e.g., unsupervised learning, Topic Modeling, LDA)
- Passion for public policy or civic engagement is required
- Comfort with data analysis tools (e.g., R, Python)
- Use of scripting and web-based data tools
- Analytical and pragmatic thinker
- Comfort talking to both software developers and customers
- Passionate and enthusiastic communicator
- Learning about building products around the customer journey
- Working on a product focused agile team
- Analyzing data with advanced analytics scripting languages
- Understanding un/semi-supervised machine learning
- Problem solving advanced analytics issues in the public policy context