Freelance Facilities Coordinator - 1871
1871 - http://www.1871.com/
222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza, Suite 1212, Chicago, IL
The story of the Great Fire of 1871 isn’t really about the fire. It’s about what happened next: a remarkable moment when Chicago’s most brilliant engineers, architects and inventors came together to build a new city. Their innovations – born of passion and practical ingenuity – shaped not just Chicago, but the modern world. Today, Chicago’s brightest founders, entrepreneurs, digital designers, and engineers are developing new technologies, disrupting old business models, and resetting the boundaries of what’s possible.
Come to a place where you can share ideas, make mistakes, work hard, grow professionally and, with a little luck, change the world. If that sounds like you, join us.
The Freelance Facilities Coordinator will be responsible for managing 1871’s physical space on nights and weekends when on-site events are happening outside of standard business hours. The ideal candidate will be a hard-working go-getter that enjoys working with new people on a regular basis, delivering top-notch client service, and assisting with both small and large-scale events. The ideal candidate will also have very open flexibility on weeknights and weekends, with the ability to pick up shifts as needed.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Freelance Facilities Coordinator will work closely with members of 1871’s staff, other freelance employees, as well as 1871’s event clients and guests.
- Event Setup/Breakdown - Primary responsibilities include the physical setup and breakdown of 1871's multiple event spaces including all furniture and AV equipment.
- Space Management - Monitor the 1871 space during and after events to ensure space remains clean, safe and in order, act as the liaison between Merchandise Mart security and 1871 staff, cover breaks for 1871 reception desk staff and close/secure space at the end of the night.
- Inventory Management - Perform inventory checklists on AV equipment in the event spaces and report back with missing/broken items.
- Facilities Upkeep - With direction from the full-time Facilities Team, perform various tasks throughout the space when needed. This may include organizing storage areas, small fixes/tightenings, rearranging furniture/supplies, etc.
- 1+ year experience in physical event setup/takedown, facilities management, or other related equivalent job experience required.
- Ability to lift 50+ pounds.
- Ability to be on your feet for long periods of time.
- Flexible and frequent availability on nights and weekends including last minute requests.
- Ability to professionally communicate with staff, clients, guests, and members alike, with a positive and welcoming attitude.
- Experience with AV equipment including projectors, HDMI/VGA and Mac computers preferred.
- You are a hardworking go-getter that goes the extra mile to ensure top-notch customer experience.
- You are a team player and a hands-on worker who is capable of multi-tasking and staying alert in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- You are an adaptable problem solver.
- Part-Time Contractor
- Convenient downtown location with coffee shops and restaurants nearby.
- Wear jeans and casual wear.
- Work as a part of a diverse team.
1871/CEC is an equal employment opportunity employer with a strong focus on crafting an inclusive and diverse environment. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.